Saturday, October 26, 2013

Next question, please!



a)      What phone device are you using while abroad?  Did you purchase one there or did you bring your own?  How much does it cost to use a mobile phone abroad?

I originally purchased a cheap, 12 pound pre-paid phone when I arrived in Belfast. Bad idea. I dreaded having to use it. It was so difficult to text on. All it was good for was emergency situations and I didn’t have any numbers to call anyway other than 999 (the equivalent to 911). After I was living here for a few weeks and heard about some other options I dropped the phone and went for another plan. Now I use giffgaff (a phone company here). It is pretty cheap, there is one option that is only 5 something pounds a month. That plan doesn’t give you a lot of minutes and texts but I can call and text other giffgaff users for free so it doesn’t matter because almost all of my friends have giffgaff (for that exact reason). It isn’t a contract so that means I don’t have to stress about having money in my account at the end of the month, and every month I can switch what plan I want. Giffgaff is also a great way to go because I can use my iPhone from the U.S. I didn’t have to buy anything new and I am already used to how the phone works. Plus I carried it with me everywhere anyway. The original phone/plan I got would be the best option for someone studying abroad back home, but not here. It is amazing how many minutes, text, and data you can get for such little money. It really makes you realize how much we get ripped off in the U.S. 

b)      What technology is available at your location (computers, internet, printers etc)?

The school pays for us to have internet in our dorms. It is through a private company though which kind of sucks. I have a lot of issues with internet connection and the company has awful costumer service. Other than the internet and a TV in the living room, we don’t have any other technology in the house. Because of TV licenses you can’t watch TV in your room unless you pay for it yourself. As for computers and printers, you have to go to the library for those. The university does not give you print money like Carlow does. It costs 10p a page, and you can’t use the double-sided trick here. It is okay though because you really don’t have to print much. For most classes you only have two essays a semester and that is all you really have to print.

No comments:

Post a Comment