Thursday, March 27, 2014

Culture

a)     Explain the most exciting holiday, tradition, or custom that you have experienced.
I spent my winter break in Spain and was able to experience so many new traditions. It was so interesting. The best though was Catalan tradition of Caga Tio. It’s unbelievable. Caga means poop and tio means log (in Spanish tio means uncle). Every year, on the 8th of December, a family sets out a log that looks like a cartoon character. They cover Caga Tio with a blanket and feed it. Then, on the 25th of December the children gather around the log and sing while hitting it with a stick. They sing:
"Caga Tió avellanes I torró
Si no vols cagar
Et donanem un cop de pal."
Which translates to:
"Caga Tió hazelnuts and turron
If you don't want to poo
We will hit you with a stick"

Then they remove the blanket to find his poop, which is magically presents. The family I stayed with did this three times. All the grandchildren would leave the room while the parents put more presents under. It was fantastic. I want a log that poops out presents. All you have to do is feed it cookies and keep it warm? Sounds like a good deal!



b)     What live entertainment have you seen (shows, parades, music, sports, etc.)? Tell us about some interesting observations you made there.


One of the best things about studying aboard here in northern Ireland is the live music at the pubs. I love when we go to a pub and sit and listen to someone jam out on the fiddle, accordion and guitar. The best bands (that I have seen at least) are in the Republic. Whenever we go visit we make sure we find live music. At a pub in Galway it seemed like some folks just met there every week to play music. People came and went. When different people came they played slightly different types of music. It was awesome. They played traditional songs and cover songs. Their version of black bird by the Beatles was incredible. Watching rugby matches at the pubs is great craic too (Irish way of saying a really good time). Everyone is always singing and cheering like crazy. It’s a really fun environment. J  

No comments:

Post a Comment